Steam locomotive outside the Southern Pacific Railroad depot in San Jose, ca.1900. USC Digital Library
Southern Pacific 3037 ‘Atlantic’ Class A-3, 4-4-2
Built by Alco-Schenectady, 1904. Southern Pacific used Atlantics until the end of steam locomotive fleets in the 1950s.
One of the little known treasures at Roaring Camp is the Moonlight Special. This is a special steam run up the mountain at night, leading the passengers through the redwood forests when no one else gets to see it. Along with the trip is a steak dinner, folk music, and a party at the summit of the mountain. Dixiana pulled the train that evening, and was especially vibrant in contrast to the forest going to sleep around us.
New Series to be run on this blog. Pictures of locomotives and whenever possible the information to go along with them.
Southern Pacific, Class S-8, 0-6-0 Switcher, in a California Railyard.
South Pacific Coast Engine #6, 4-4-0 San Jose, CA. 1906
The South Pacific Coast Railroad (SPC) was a 3 ft narrow gauge steam railroad running between Santa Cruz, California and Alameda, with a ferry connection in Alameda to San Francisco. The railroad was created as the Santa Clara Valley Railroad, founded by local strawberry growers as a way to get their crops to market in San Francisco and provide an alternative to the Southern Pacific Railroad. In 1876, James Graham Fair, a Comstock Lode silver baron, bought the line and extended it into the Santa Cruz Mountains to capture the significant lumber traffic coming out of the redwood forests
Santa Cruz Portland Cement Co. #2 “The Chiggen”
Built by HK Porter in 1909 as the prototype for larger switching and industrial locomotives. It was successful and ran on the Santa Cruz Portland Cement Co. line until 1924. It was sold to Bechtel Kaiser Rock Co. and ran on that line. It is not know when it was retired from service but in 1967 it was sold to a chicken restaurant and sat out front advertising. This period of time as an advertisement for a chicken restaurant earned it the nickname “Chiggen” It was restored in 2013, and it’s website can be found here: http://www.scpc2.com/
On a historic run in July of 2014, the Chiggen made its first run down the Davenport Branchline in 75 years. This run marks the return of steam on the Davenport line, although the complete trip to Davenport was not possible because of bridges along the branchline that have not undergone repairs, it is a promising start. Iowa Pacific and Roaring Camp Railroad worked together to make the excursion possible.
Quincy Railroad Co. No. 2 was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1924. It is a 2-6-2T locomotive seen here doing the bi-monthly steam special at Niles Canyon. This locomotive has never really been removed from service because after its retirement from the Quincy Railroad Co. in 1970 it was sold to a Pacific Locomotive Association member and used to haul excursions until being restored to current FRA regulations in 2002.
Western Pacific GP7, No. 613, doing a regularly scheduled passenger service from Niles depot to Sunol depot. The Pacific Locomotive Association (PLA) has owned this locomotive since 1985 and have kept her in operating condition. The PLA is open every Sunday through out the year, and runs both steam and diesel.
Lima SN 2465, built in 1911 she served on the Westside Lumber Company until the late 60’s when it was bought by Roaring Camp. Retaining her number, she was the 3rd operating locomotive and was most recently overhauled in 2007.
Lack of updates due to obscene amounts of trains and excursions over the past few weeks. Author’s not dead, just getting a full head of steam. Here is a little preview of things to come in following weeks.